Legal Services for Foreigners in Vietnam


You are the foreigners and

You plan to invest in Vietnam; or

You have a short-term business trip; or

You are employed and sponsored by a Vietnamese Company or a foreign entity to work in Vietnam

Then, you should take a look on our legal service – “The legal services for foreign employees”.

Why Choose LTT & LAWYERS To Support You?

  1. LTT & Lawyers is a is a reputable law firm with a team of lawyers, experienced legal experts with in-depth knowledge in the field of legal services for foreign employee.
  2. We have an experienced team in the field of legal services for foreign employees. Our services shall bring you the stress-free procedures, save your time and provide tailored, practical advice, a strategic plan on your matter to achieve your goal.
  3. Dedicated, professional working style, putting the interests of customers first, ensuring the confidentiality of information, minimizing risks for customers.

Some General Information Regarding The Laws Of Vietnam For Foreign Employees

Types of visa in Vietnam

No.Type of VisasSign TermNumber of Entry
1E-visaEVForeignersMaximum 30 daysSingle entry
2One-year business visa in VietnamDN1Foreigners working with other enterprises and organizations that are juridical person as per the law of VietnamDo not exceed 12 monthsMultiple entries
DN2Foreigners making entry to promote services, establish commercial presence or conducting other activities according to international agreements to which Vietnam is a signatory.

3Long-term business visaLD1Foreigners working in Vietnam and certified of eligibility for work permit exemption, unless otherwise specified by international agreements to which Vietnam is a signatoryDo not exceed 2 years
LD2Foreigners working in Vietnam requiring work permitMultiple entries
4Investor visaDT1– Foreign investors and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam and contributing capital of VND 100 billion or more; or
– Investing in business lines or administrative divisions benefiting from investment incentives.
Do not exceed 2 years Multiple entries
DT2– Foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam and contributing capital of VND 50 billion to less than VND 100 billion; or
– Investing in business lines benefitting from investment incentives.
DT3Foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam and contributing capital of VND 3 billion to less than VND 50 billion.Do not exceed 3 yearsMultiple entries
DT4Foreign investors in Vietnam and representatives of foreign organizations investing in Vietnam and contributing capital of less than VND 3 billion.Do not exceed 12 monthsMultiple entries

Temporary Residence Card

Temporary residence card (“TRC”) is a document issued by an immigration authority or a competent authority of the Immigration department Vietnam to a foreigner who is permitted to reside in Vietnam for a certain period of time. This card has the same validity as a visa.

Foreigners making entry on the following visas shall be granted the TRC:

1DT1Do not exceed 10 years
2DT2Do not exceed 05 years
3DT3Do not exceed 03 years
4LD4Do not exceed 2 years
5LD2Do not exceed 2 years


– Validity of issued temporary residence cards shall be at least 30 days shorter than remaining validity of passports.
– Time limit for obtaining the TRC: 05 days according to the laws of Vietnam

Work Permit

Foreigners must apply for a work permit in order to be eligible to work in Vietnam, unless they fall under some circumstances that are  exempted from requiring a work permit, ex. foreign investors. Upon meeting the conditions, a work permit is issued for two years.

Some common circumstances that the foregin employee is only required to have the Certification of foreign workers eligible for exemption from work permit

  • The workers are internally reassigned in the companies which engage in 11 service industries in the Vietnam’s WTO commitments on services, including: business, communication, construction, distribution, education, environment, finance, health, tourism, culture, entertainment and transportation;
  • The workers enter Vietnam to hold the positions of experts, managers, chief executive officers or technicians for a period of under 30 days and an accumulated working period of under 90 days per year;
  • Capital-contributing members or owners of limited liability companies;
  • Members of the Board of Directors of joint-stock companies;
  • Chiefs of representative offices and directors of projects of international organizations or non-governmental organizations in Vietnam;
  • Those who stay in Vietnam for under 3 months to offer services for sale.

Driving license for foreigners in Vietnam

In order to be able to drive in Vietnam, the foreign employee is required to implement the procedure on renewal of foreign driving license.

Accordingly, the foreign employee shall send a set of application in person to Directorate for Roads of Vietnam or Department of Transport (where the residence is registered). The dossier is including:

  • The written request for renewal of driving license (Appendix 20 enclosed with Circular 20/2017/TT-BGTVT); and
  • A written translation of the driving license in Vietnamese guaranteed in quality by notary office or Embassy, Consulate in Vietnam where the translator works, affixed with a stamp on adjoining edges of pages and copy of the driving license; and
  • The copy of passport (passport number, full name, passport photo, validity period and page of entry visa to Vietnam), people’s identity card, citizen’s identity card issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Vietnam or a photocopy of the Permanent Residence Card, Temporary Residence Card, stay permits or the papers proving the foreigner’s long-term residence in Vietnam.

Please be noted that the foreign shall be photographed when submitting the application for replacement and must present the original copy of aforesaid documents (except for sent original documents) for comparison.


Phone number: (+84) 28 6285 8591




  • 185 Co Bac street, Co Giang Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
  • Room 226, S – office Areas, 2nd floor Chamvit 117, Tran Duy Hung Street, Trung Hoa Ward, Cau Giay District, Hanoi City
  • No. 2 Doan Nhu Hai, Hoa Khe Ward, Thanh Khe District, Danang City